This bridge crossing the Golden Horn was completed in 1875 and was used until it was replaced with a new bridge in 1912. (The old bridge was towed upstream to replace an even older bridge. )
The men in white coats in the foreground were not from an asylum but employees of the Naval Ministry collecting tolls from people crossing the bridge. Members of the military, law enforcement, fire fighters on duty, and clergy crossed for free.
Photochrom on Flickr from The Library of Congress.