New City, Chicago, Illinois, United States

Walter's Tavern, a Polish bar, in 1933

Polish immigrants Walter and Mary Zielinksi (second and third from right) opened Walter's Tavern in the Back of the Yards neighborhood in the late 1920s or early 1930s. Their tavern was one of the few establishments in the area that served African Americans and whites together.

Via Chicago Historical Society.

Walter's Tavern, a Polish bar, in 1933