In 1904, a Chinese businessman named Lew Hing, opened Pacific Coast Canning Company at the corner of 12th and Pine streets in Oakland—his second cannery, following the opening of one in San Francisco at Sacramento and Stockton streets. The cannery produced goods under the label Lew’s Buckskin, packing a variety of fruits and vegetables for shipping from the nearby transcontinental rain terminal. The cannery was not only a successful business, but also acted as an important shelter for Chinese and other immigrant populations in the wake of the 1906 earthquake.
The cannery stood empty for most of the latter half of the 20th century until a development company saw an opportunity to turn it into lofts for a new set of Oakland residents. Today, the Pacific Cannery Lofts occupy the site, designed with Asian-influenced landscaping as a nod to Lew Hing’s legacy.