‘Šupich house’ was developed between 1911 and 1919 at the intersection on Wenceslas Square next to the art nouveau Palac Lucerna. It was commissioned by lawyer and investor Josef Šupich to the firm of Matěj Blecha, with Emil Králíček as principal architect. "The outside is astonishing. The building’s distinctive drum-shaped lantern and piston-like projections give the impression of a huge engine, powering the commercial activity of the newly-formed state of Czechoslovakia. Much of the effect is the result of Králíček’s regular collaborators, the sculptors Karel Pavlík and Antonín Odehnal, who were responsible for the striking facade with its powerful geometric lines, its primitive roundels and its Homeric heads. Otakar Novotný, who went on to design the Mánes building, proclaimed the Šupich building an ‘architectural monster’."
Man with headdress outside Šupich House, Wenceslas Square, Prague.